Sunday, January 11, 2015

Avocado Cream Cheese Tortilla Chips

blogger widgets During Christmas, my fiancé went to Japan and brought back a ton of snacks. If you've ever been to Japan, you may know that their packaging are so cutesy (or as they say かわいい "kawaii") and unique that it makes you want to try and buy everything!! I had trouble picking which snack that I wanted to try first but I finally settled on these Avocado Cream Cheese Tortilla Chips. 




Apparently Sailor Moon Crystal teamed up with Japanese snack giant Koikeya to bring these series of tortilla chips. For those who don't know, Sailor Moon was a hit anime show in the 90s. All five original characters also referred to as Inner Sailor Senshi are featured on the bags of chips (Moon, Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, and Venus) as well as cape-wearing, rose-tossing ally Tuxedo Mask.

These chips have a very unique taste, a bit sweet, creamy and salty at the same time. After the first chip, my taste buds told me that they didn't like it but I decided to give it another shot. It started to grow on me and I found that I couldn't stop eating them! The tortilla chips taste very fresh and have a great crunch. The chip has a green tint as it's avocado flavored which goes really well with the light cream cheese flavoring and the slightly sweet scent of corn.  

There are two other flavors that you can buy: bagna cauda (a dip from Italy made with garlic, anchovies, olive oil and butter), and balsamico grilled pork. Frito Lays came out with Doritos Avocado Cheese chips that was only available in Japan but they discontinued this flavor as of February of last year. I wonder why they don't sell this flavor in the US, doesn't seem uncommon as we all know how delicious cream cheese and avocados on a bagel tastes.

Since I have so many Japanese snacks to try, the next few posts will continue to be about Japanese snacks!

1 comment: